- Carnival Corp & plc close to order 10 ships at Fincantieri, Meyer Werft - reports
- Deutschland sold to undisclosed US buyer, to retain name
- Ovation of the Seas to become second Quantum class ship based in China
- Renderings of Virgin Cruises' planned newbuildings surface on Internet
- MSC Cruises cancels all calls in Tunisia
- Cruise Shipping Miami 2015: Will China transform the cruise industry?
- Cruise Shipping Miami 2015: New aspects of passenger ship operational safety concerns
- Category: More News
- Published on Wednesday, 11 February 2009 11:38
- Written by Kari Reinikainen
TUI Cruises, the German joint venture of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd and TUI AG, has decided to name its first vessel Mein Schiff following a competition. More than 11,000 people sent in over 30,000 ideas to the competition for finding a name for TUI Cruises´ first ship. The competition was carried out in cooperation with Bunte, a German celebrity magazine.The term Mein Schiff – which translates as My Ship – that has been used for describing the cruise concept since September, was not only one of the most frequently suggested names, but also proved convincing, according the jury, owing to it being German and conforming well to the concept.
Indeed the new ship from TUI Cruises will be christened Mein Schiff on May 15th. The exterior design of the TUI Cruises ship emphatically reveals the style of the new cruise brand: the ship’s name, together with an abundance of emotional associations with maritime holidays, are emblazoned in flowing calligraphy on the vessel’s side and transform it into an imaginary passenger diary, the company said in a statement.
“We were overwhelmed by the tremendous response to our search for a name and are most grateful for the sea of creative names,“ said Richard J Vogel, Chief Executive Officer of TUI Cruises. “The name Mein Schiff, which so many entrants decided on, completely satisfies all the criteria we set for the selection of a name,“ he explained and summed up: ”This name is in the German language, unique in the cruise industry and expresses our core ideas of individuality and room to move“.
Also the exterior design of the ship is terse and to the point. Designed by the Hamburg agency Gürtlerbachmann Werbung – which just recently won the Agency of the Year 2008 award – the exterior design brings classic colour components of the shipping world together with innovative design ideas.
On the deep blue background of the ship’s hull are catchphrases such as “Sound of the sea“ and “Calm“, which in their composition put across the idea behind the Mein Schiff and as such behind the new concept of holidaying at sea. The lettering has the character of handwriting and so conveys a very personal touch. The TUI logo on the funnel rounds off the pleasing exterior appearance, TUI Cruises said.
Alternative flash content
- Royal Caribbean International launches WOW sale
- MSC Cruises changes pricing structure for summer 2015 in UK
- Norwegian Cruise Line rounds out Wave Season with new offer
- Blount Small Ship Adventures celebrates Presidents' Day with deals and historic cruises
- Carnival Cruise Line offers special Carnival Vista Europe group promotion through February 28
- STX France begins construction on world's largest cruise ship
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
Products & services
- TTS to supply shell doors and platforms for Star Cruises newbuilds
- MCP CEO: Coming 4G networks can revolutionize cruise ship passenger experience
- ABB's marine solutions to boost efficiency, reliability and flexibility of Tallink's first LNG-powered ferry
- GE to propel new MSC Cruises 'Seaside' ships
- New Tallink ferry to be powered by Wärtsilä dual-fuel engines