- Holland America Line makes three director appointments in fleet operations department
- Windstar Cruises introduces new yacht and voyage collection
- Mein Schiff 3 to improve energy efficiency by about 30%
- Regent Seven Seas makes itinerary changes for fall 2014
- Mein Schiff 1 godmother to celebrate fourth anniversary of ship with gala concert
- Viking launches its ocean project, company rebrands
- Royal Caribbean's Vice Chairman and CFO Rice to retire
- TUI AG to restructure Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten unit after its deep interim losses
- RCCL to revitalise Voyager of the Seas before 2014-15 Australasia deployment
- High airfares force Carnival Cruise Lines out of Europe 2014
- Australian source market grew 11% to 694,000 passengers in 2012
- Norwegian sees $2.2 billion capex on newbuildings to 2015
Ports & Destinations
- Norwegian Breakaway makes maiden call to Bermuda
- Study demonstrates that BC cruise ports continue to be an economic hub in Canada
- Ports America awarded operating contract for Port of Los Angeles Cruise Terminal
- Cruise tourism's contribution to Dubai's tourism growth due to grow in 2014
- Holland America to introduce calls at Banana Coast in Honduras
Products & services
- Trimline and Carnival UK agree an on board interior maintenance service for five ships
- Wärtsilä Aquarius ballast water system received final approval
- Wallem opens first hub of expertise in Singapore as it looks to establish strategic maritime locations around the world
- AIDA calls at Lloyd Werft for the first time
- Wärtsilä signs five year Viking Grace maintenance agreement
- Category: Latest News
- Published on Wednesday, 11 February 2009 11:38
- Written by Kari Reinikainen
TUI Cruises, the German joint venture of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd and TUI AG, has decided to name its first vessel Mein Schiff following a competition. More than 11,000 people sent in over 30,000 ideas to the competition for finding a name for TUI Cruises´ first ship. The competition was carried out in cooperation with Bunte, a German celebrity magazine.The term Mein Schiff – which translates as My Ship – that has been used for describing the cruise concept since September, was not only one of the most frequently suggested names, but also proved convincing, according the jury, owing to it being German and conforming well to the concept.
Indeed the new ship from TUI Cruises will be christened Mein Schiff on May 15th. The exterior design of the TUI Cruises ship emphatically reveals the style of the new cruise brand: the ship’s name, together with an abundance of emotional associations with maritime holidays, are emblazoned in flowing calligraphy on the vessel’s side and transform it into an imaginary passenger diary, the company said in a statement.
“We were overwhelmed by the tremendous response to our search for a name and are most grateful for the sea of creative names,“ said Richard J Vogel, Chief Executive Officer of TUI Cruises. “The name Mein Schiff, which so many entrants decided on, completely satisfies all the criteria we set for the selection of a name,“ he explained and summed up: ”This name is in the German language, unique in the cruise industry and expresses our core ideas of individuality and room to move“.
Also the exterior design of the ship is terse and to the point. Designed by the Hamburg agency Gürtlerbachmann Werbung – which just recently won the Agency of the Year 2008 award – the exterior design brings classic colour components of the shipping world together with innovative design ideas.
On the deep blue background of the ship’s hull are catchphrases such as “Sound of the sea“ and “Calm“, which in their composition put across the idea behind the Mein Schiff and as such behind the new concept of holidaying at sea. The lettering has the character of handwriting and so conveys a very personal touch. The TUI logo on the funnel rounds off the pleasing exterior appearance, TUI Cruises said.
Oasis of the Seas Coverage
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
- Autronica delivers extensive safety system to Allure of the Seas