- Cruise lines shelve Turkey calls
- Cruises to North Korea from South planned for Chinese tourists
- Fred. Olsen Cruise Line stages huge improvement in interims
- Costa Cruises' 'Captain for a Day' program enables junior cruisers to experience life at the helm
- Carnival Pride to return to Tampa to operate series of voyages in January and February 2017
- Genting Hong Kong interim profit soars on sale gains
- Crystal in 2025: six ships, 10 river yachts, five ocean yachts, four aircraft - Rodriguez
- Expanding Crystal Cruises plans to open UK, Hong Kong offices
- MSC Cruises to offer 60-night 'Grand Voyage' from Brazil to Shanghai
- New ships to retain Crystal hallmarks, broaden offerings
- Investments to transform Crystal from cruise to lifestyle company
- TUI AG remains upbeat of performance of its cruise brands
- Category: More News
- Published on Wednesday, 11 February 2009 11:38
- Written by Kari Reinikainen
TUI Cruises, the German joint venture of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd and TUI AG, has decided to name its first vessel Mein Schiff following a competition. More than 11,000 people sent in over 30,000 ideas to the competition for finding a name for TUI Cruises´ first ship. The competition was carried out in cooperation with Bunte, a German celebrity magazine.The term Mein Schiff – which translates as My Ship – that has been used for describing the cruise concept since September, was not only one of the most frequently suggested names, but also proved convincing, according the jury, owing to it being German and conforming well to the concept.
Indeed the new ship from TUI Cruises will be christened Mein Schiff on May 15th. The exterior design of the TUI Cruises ship emphatically reveals the style of the new cruise brand: the ship’s name, together with an abundance of emotional associations with maritime holidays, are emblazoned in flowing calligraphy on the vessel’s side and transform it into an imaginary passenger diary, the company said in a statement.
“We were overwhelmed by the tremendous response to our search for a name and are most grateful for the sea of creative names,“ said Richard J Vogel, Chief Executive Officer of TUI Cruises. “The name Mein Schiff, which so many entrants decided on, completely satisfies all the criteria we set for the selection of a name,“ he explained and summed up: ”This name is in the German language, unique in the cruise industry and expresses our core ideas of individuality and room to move“.
Also the exterior design of the ship is terse and to the point. Designed by the Hamburg agency Gürtlerbachmann Werbung – which just recently won the Agency of the Year 2008 award – the exterior design brings classic colour components of the shipping world together with innovative design ideas.
On the deep blue background of the ship’s hull are catchphrases such as “Sound of the sea“ and “Calm“, which in their composition put across the idea behind the Mein Schiff and as such behind the new concept of holidaying at sea. The lettering has the character of handwriting and so conveys a very personal touch. The TUI logo on the funnel rounds off the pleasing exterior appearance, TUI Cruises said.
Alternative flash content
Ports & Destinations
- Carnival on track for record year from Port of New Orleans in 2015
- Port Saint John modernization project to benefit cruise ships with harbour deepening
- Panama City aims to attract homeport business
- Major investment announced for Xiamen cruise homeport
- Lisbon expects 10% increase in cruise traffic for 2015
- STX France begins construction on world's largest cruise ship
- Crystal creates visual magic with water for the AquaTheater on the Oasis and Allure
- Allure of the Seas features 3D digital cinema engineered by FUNA
- Allure of the Seas sails with KONE people flow solutions
- Starbucks and Royal Caribbean to offer first ever Starbucks at sea on Allure of the Seas
Products & services
- Trimline transform ship repairs with their new In-Service Support Department
- Eco-ferry Texelstroom launched in Spain
- Damen launches second of two ferries for the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Trimline appoints new CFO
- Wärtsilä to adjust its Ship Power business to reflect the weak market situation